Monday 21 February 2011

Children's ministry

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

First off let me be clear, this post has been in my mind for many months but has been prompted today by some fantastic writing by "random doodles from the curates wife" blog here

"Children’s groups during the service do not exist to take the children out of the service and create a sense of calm and order, they exist because we all need to be spiritually nurtured and receive teaching according to our appropriate stage of development and for most children the sermon does not meet that need.  Children need to be accepted for who they are, as individual children of God. They come with their own needs and it is our duty as adults, in prayer and action, to support their spiritual growth.  The children who worship with us are not “the future of the church” they are fellow members of the church."

Sunday school (God Squad, Focus and Focus plus at St Nicolas) exists to spiritually nurture and support the growth of children according to their relevant stage of development.  It is NOT a crèche or a form of entertainment for the children.

As Sunday school leaders we plan sessions prayerfully; thinking about the message and mission of the session and how it can be delivered in a manner the kids will understand and enjoy.  We meet as leaders, pray as leaders and speak the word of God as leaders.

I put as much effort into my Sunday school leading as I do into my preaching; it is of at least equal importance in my mind.  We have up to 20 children age 4-10 in God Squad (and at least 12 more in the older groups); sure it is challenging to meet the needs of all of them, but we do the very best we can with our resources and the children enjoy it and are growing.

I have heard several people comment about how the children seem to be learning a lot from Sunday school these days; alleluia!  How they go in eagerly and have lots to share afterwards; yeah! However I have also heard comments from some about how the kids would be better off just hearing a story and doing sone colouring; aaaargggh!

What I do know is that working with children is as challenging as it is rewarding, shares as much as it teaches, and is a key part of Christ's ministry.  Well if Jesus told us to come as children, that's more than good enough for me.  I just wish more adults could do the same. 

4 comments:

Siobhan said...

Thanks for quoting me - feel really privileged. :-)

Good post BTW

Karen said...

The place of the child in the church is so important. So many churches fall way short in this and it's a major factor behind me staying with the church I'm at now and becoming part of the Kids Church team there. To see our kids grow in their knowledge and love of Christ is not only a joy, but a privilege and I feel honoured to be part of that in the church I serve.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California.

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You, ~Ron

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

I find it really sad that any random person can teach Sunday School. I had to train for some years to be allowed to preach to adults, and ordained ministers train longer. Who said children don't deserve as much consideration?