Saturday 5 February 2011

Save our libraries day of action - 5th February 2011.

Today from midday there will be read-ins inside libraries around England and Wales.  This is a peaceful mass action event to show just how much we love and need our network of local libraries.

Xxxxxxx
Why are they proposing to close libraries?

The recession is here to stay for the foreseeable, we all know this requires that district and county councils reduce their costs by as much as 20%.  However the way these organisations are saving this money seems to be by attacking the easiest targets first, and libraries are one of these.

Libraries are seen as "non essential" services

Libraries do not rank highly on the traditional rankings of services we public want.

Closing a small local library, well I bet the powers that be thought no one would really notice.

Xxxxxxxxxx
Why do I oppose these plans?

I love our libraries.

I see the broad service libraries provide across the whole age range of our society.

I borrow books from the libraries for my own personal reading.

I borrow factual books for us and our kids if we need to research something.

I take my children to libraries from as young as 3 months for rhyme times and story times and to introduce them to the fantastic world of reading.

I use library computer resources when there are no others.

I appreciate the skill of librarians to help us find books, try new books and order in books we would like to borrow.

I believe that removing libraries will affect the individuals and communities who use them.


Xxxxxx 
What can we do to stop these library closures?
- write to your mp
- ask your local paper to cover the issue and how it will affect you all
- speak to your local library and join in any action they are planning
- start or sign a petition

For a child's view see http://majorloveoffilm.blogspot.com/2011/02/save-our-libraries-day-of-action-5th.html

If we think we have no power to stop these closures then we will not try.  Please do what you can, together who knows what we can achieve.

1 comment:

Grit said...

wishing your campaign well, and thank you for blogging about it.