Thursday 9 June 2011

Poor Kids; society is failing them

Late on Tuesday night on BBC1 was an amazing documentary called Poor Kids. I'm not sure how many people watched it, it wasn't prime time and I didn't see it advertised; I was lucky enough to catch it completely by accident.

For an hour I was mesmerised by the children that were the focus of the programme. I was shocked by the conditions they lived in. I was full of admiration of their maturity, sense and intelligence. I was dismayed by the fact that so many live in conditions that are sub-human.

I thought I knew.
I thought I was beyond being shocked.
I thought that poverty like this was rare.
I was wrong.

How can we let anyone live in these conditions?
How can there be families in the UK forced to live like this?
How can we live with ourselves knowing that so many have so little?
We must help.

Who is to blame for this?
Who can live knowing this is life for some?
Who do we need to make understand this is wrong?
We must tell.

Go and watch this programme.
Go and admire these children.
Go and petition your MP and Government.
We must act.

No comments: