Tuesday 26 July 2011

God the Father; us the kids

Being on holiday gives me time.  
Time to think.  
Time to reflect.
Time to watch Mike and Rachel.
Time to see the situations as they are.

One of those situations is the endless bickering between Mike and Rachel.  A father trying to direct his child safely and sensibly through life; a daughter trying to find her own way and see what works best.  It's a timeless parent and child dance; one repeated across species, across millennia.  

Today, it's really struck a cord with me.

We are born into the safe keeping of adults who will nurture us through the challenges of childhood and into adulthood.  We are expected to challenge our boundaries.  They are expected to keep those boundaries firm and to catch us when we fall.  In this process we learn, as children, how to function in relationships and society.

In the same way God is our Father.

He has our boundaries clearly established for us; and he expects us to push them and then come back for forgiveness when we admit wrongdoing.

He allows us to make our mistakes; and he is there to catch us when we fall.

He watches us closely and hopes that we remember to turn to Him when we need help.

The difference in the analogies is that God never expects us to grow up and not need Him.  He expects that we know that we can always turn to Him, our Father.

Sometimes I am very like a young child of God; I rebel and push and make mighty mistakes and then run home desperately looking for help.  Other times I'm more mature; I try to listen to my Father and follow His guidance.

I am a child of God; so are you.
He loves me whichever path I'm on; and He loves you.  
I am loved by God my Father; so are you.

So ask yourself; are you a child or an adult today?
Or perhaps a teenager?

No comments: