Monday 4 July 2011

Lupus pains

I haven't blogged about the fact that I have lupus really; I might have touched on it but I've not gone into it in any detail.  

There are two reasons for this:
1. Lupus hasn't affected my life day-to-day and so it doesn't occur to me to write about it
2. It seems like a depressing thing to blog about, so I don't

But things have changed!  
Lupus is suddenly upfront and personal in my life again, in a way it hasn't since I was trying to conceive (TTC).  It has been dormant over the past five years or so; ok there've been asthmatic episodes and flu and other mild lupus effects, but overall its been pretty dormant.

Now it's ugly self is coming out of hibernation.

Two months ago I started noticing my left hand becoming numb a lot, constantly heavy and my fingers twitching a lot.  I thought nothing of it, thought it'd go away soon enough.  Mike decided it was time to see a doctor and she was less dismissive than I hoped.  Apparently I have carpal tunnel.  

It's no biggy, lots of people have it, I'm just unlucky.  That's what I tell myself and others.  But I know it's not that simple.  In reality this is the first time lupus has affected my joints and nerves; and I don't expect it will be the last.

So I'm wearing my wrist splint and "trying to rest" a bit - not in my nature at all!  But mostly I'm hoping and praying for this to pass and for lupus to go back to it's hole.

In the meantime blogging will be inhibited - typing is a nightmare.  But hey, there are worse things, right?

Also at Major Love of Film

4 comments:

Margaret Mary Rowling said...

And your loyal followers are praying for it to go away ITNOJx

UKViewer said...

Emma,

My daughter in law suffers from it as well. Dormant at the moment, but can recur at any time.

She has 5 children to look after. My son left her some time ago. Bad enough being on your own with five, but suffering the symptoms makes it virtually impossible to function some of the time.

Will be praying for you as you go through this again.

Lay Anglicana said...

I'm so sorry Emma - it must be a nightmare to live with. I am hoping and praying with Margaret that this is just an interlude of pain which will recede in time.
Laura

M_Massie said...

i would like to hear more about lupus. my husband told me he was diagnosed with it when he was a child, but apparently it was indeterminate whether he actually has it or not. he certainly has something tho. Could you maybe shoot me a message about where I might find info on it?