Thursday 4 August 2011

Carisbrooke Priory

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Carisbrooke Priory - a place to find peace of mind

Whilst we were on the Isle of Wight yesterday we literally drove past a place called Carisbrooke Priory.  I felt I was meant to stop; Rachel was asleep in the car and Mike was happy for me to go and knock on the door, so I did.

I never do this, I never knock on doors of places I don't know.  But I had no phone signal so I just went straight up to the door.  I knocked, it was opened and I was welcomed.

I was given a brief synopsis of the priory and allowed to spend some quiet time in the chapel.  I met the Chaplain, in fact I heard him playing the piano and it filled me with calm.

Then I left, unsure why I was meant to visit, feeling calmer than I had when I walked in, but wishing I could have stayed longer.

This evening I was thinking about my brief visit and decided to visit their website at http://www.carisbrookepriory.org.uk

It has become perhaps a little clearer why I was brought to the doors of Carisbrooke Priory.  

They wish to be "an accessible place of welcome and safety for all who are drawn here." and they were for me and perhaps through this blog they will be found by others.

I have suffered with depression; their long term mission is to "rehabilitate  lives affected by years of mental illness".

I am sure there'll be other reasons I may become aware of in the future, or maybe not; but one thing I know, I was meant to go through their open door.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I had a similar experience.Took a wrong turn while holidaying(was it a wrong turn,I don't think so.)I had been quite unwell,didn't want to worry my hubby and spoil our holiday. Two days after being invited into the priory and praying deeply,I was feeling much better and whenever i am feeling low,I say prayers to Carisbrooke. I now live in Australia but as a child,pplayed around the castle,a special place !
Margaret