Monday 16 January 2012

16th January 2012 Mark 2:18-22

Jesus Questioned About Fasting
Now John’s disciples and the Pharisees were fasting. Some people came and asked Jesus, “How is it that John’s disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees are fasting, but yours are not?” Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? They cannot, so long as they have him with them. But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and on that day they will fast.

 “No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. Otherwise, the new piece will pull away from the old, making the tear worse. And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins.”


I'm at a loss, sometimes the bible makes me confused than provides guidance.  I know nothing of wine skins and precious little about mending clothes so the analogies are lost on me.  I know that Jesus is referring to himself as the bridegroom and stating that fasting is paying homage and that's unneeded when he is on Earth.  But what's that saying to me?

Perhaps sometimes we don't need to "understand", just reading and accepting is enough.  I hope that's the case.

Jesus, I follow you and I ask you for guidance but I have to admit sometimes I'm left confused.  Please keep trying to help me understand.  Amen

No comments: