Sunday 19 February 2012

Dear Dawkins: its not about the what, it's about the why


I was amused by the research undertaken for the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science and specifically this statistic:
And when given 4 books of the Bible to select from and asked which was the first book of the New Testament, only 35% could identify Matthew as the correct answer
Seriously?
I am not disagreeing with the findings themselves, I'm just bemused as to why that would be important.  I could answer this question, you might like to know, but I don't see it as necessary or key part of my faith in any way shape or form.

I know there are some Christians who believe we should encourage memorisation of scripture and rote learning which was popular (with sunday school teachers) in the 1950s but I have never found anything which convinces me of the positive benefits.  In fact I am actively opposed to such an idea and prefer to focus on relationships with God and a deep understanding of His calling on our lives.

What it all comes down to for me is the simple fact that people of faith are interested in the why of life and God rather than the what.  This is exactly why debates between religion and Dawkins can never make any sense; we talk and think differently.

So no, I can't quote much scripture and I can't name all the books of the Bible, but I can find my favourite passages in MY Bible and on my electronic Bible and that's what matters.  After all, I have read and appreciate and know Darwin's book "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection" but I can't tell you what the chapters are called or what's on page 37.

No comments: