Sunday 13 December 2020

3am 13th December 2019 as election results roll in

This poem came up as a memory on Facebook and it appears that it never made it to my blog.  In fact when I read it I wondered who'd written it, apparently it was me.  

 

I actually feel more hopeful one year on; though Brexit agreements seem appear further away than ever and we'll probably crash out in a few weeks time.  But my hopeful thoughts for the end of 2019 are stronger, because I've seen people come together through the pandemic and it gives me hope?





It's dark at 3am
Nothing good happens at 3am
Especially at this 3am
As results poor in from around our country
Our country who I feel I don't know any more
Our country who seem to have voted not for the good of all
But for the good of....
Well who?
Not for themselves
Because the conservatives don't care about ordinary people
They care about the rich, the investors, the lucky
Yet somehow they've convinced a country
That they will get xxxxxx done
And that that will improve life for everyone
And to be honest I don't think I care about Brexit any more
There.... I said it!
I want to be in Europe
But more than that
I want to live in a country
That cares for everybody
The weak and the poor
The young and the old
Those with no hope
Those who need help
The sick and the nurses
The wonderful NHS workers
The kids and their teachers
The schools and their budgets
The social care system
The workers within it
But thanks to Brexit
None of that seems to matter
And, even more sadly
Ordinary people believe Brexit WILL fix it
That once we're independent
Everything will improve
We'll miraculously have nirvana
It makes me so sad
Because soon it'll be clear
That all of it was lies
The promise of improved lives
Another political disaster
Sold by those who love power
Oh what a night!

But wait.....
This is not the end of the story
There may be five years of Tory
But here in our country
Hope will shine through
A light in the darkness
From me and from you
Ordinary people will continue
To give to the foodbanks
Donate to the charities
Lobby our MPs
(Even if they don't listen)
Love our neighbours
Encourage the doctors
Support the teachers
Reuse and recycle
Smile at strangers
In every small action
You can see compassion
Added up it's a mission
Of goodness
That's what I'll focus on
That's what I'll see
The hope of humanity
It shines ever brighter
In the darkest of nights
Like tonight
So if you are feeling
The weight of disappointment
Or fear of the future
Take heart and remember
There are millions of us who care
Millions who do good
Millions who are in this life together
Things can only get better.


No comments: