Tuesday 28 April 2020

Adam and Eve: my reading

What do you think the Adam and Eve story is telling us.  This is my thinking.

Abstract representation of an Apple


I've always thought of it as a coming of age tale.  As children we are (hopefully) safe and closeted, fed and watered, loved and nurtured.  At some point though we have to start thinking for ourselves and being responsible for our own actions.  Making the decision to eat the apple was that point when we realise we can make our own way in the world.  And God set them free to go their own way, knowing that they would suffer because he could no longer protect them.  I've always seen Eve as courageous for taking the risk and striking out independently, that's the way to new opportunities.  But of course I was taught the story knowing that God was always with us, so I didn't have fear about being banished so much as released.


I would love to read what you think the Adam and Eve story is saying to you.

No comments: