Monday 4 May 2020

Grief poetry



Two hours awake
Thinking about two friends
Grief poetry.....

Pushing through long days
Whilst time is running out for
Death is cynosure

I am breathless
Planning for memorials 
When we crash land

O Lord, be with us
We are not prepared for this
Metamorphosis

Tears fall too free
Streams become rivers until
We are grief islands

Wails behind walls
Silently sung with millions
Stolen by windstorm

Is anyone there?
Alone in the wilderness
No one to soothe me

Cherished connections
Cut to pieces the flowers
Love embroidered

Why must I walk
This lonely path alone?
Is this the cliff edge?

Sleep promises peace
Yet dreams lie and pain awakes
Again each morning 

Light brings more darkness
Lily of the valley scent
Fills empty rooms

Earth to earth
Yet we cannot walk
Hand in hand

A bird without wings
My grief has clipped my spirit
But I hear you say

"Try again
To find strength to carry on
On that I insist"

I will wake each day
Engage my senses to you
Sparkling on spring dew

Your hope floats free
That carries me like a leaf
On rainbow breezes

.
.
.

Two friends have died this week, 
two members of our church community, 
two families grieving alone because no one can gather, 
two cut down funerals,
two amongst thousands in the UK,
two amongst hundreds of thousands across the globe.

This poem has been a cathartic write and I hope it might help others who are grieving.

No comments: