Saturday 30 May 2020

Pentecost Poetry

Tomorrow is Pentecost and so I'm sharing just some of the poems I've written over the years - feel free to use them if they're helpful.

Pentecost Alive

Today we relive Pentecost.

we feel the wind.
we are touched by fire.
we are reminded we can speak.

Today we are tasked anew to share.

Share the change the spirit brings
Share the heat of pure love
Share with everyone



...

An Ode to Pentecost

The twelve were alone, in the upper room again.
He was gone now forever, but with them all the same.

Promises he'd left them, although they knew not how
They would ever be enough, to before him even bow

Suddenly a wind did blow, within their locked up room
It billowed here and there, and then the noise started to boom

Languages they spoke, that they'd never even heard
And the flame flickered before them, almost like a bird.

The holy spirit had come down, on earth to be among
All people there gathered, and for ever from then on.




...

We feel the wind
We are touched by the fire
We are reminded we can speak

Today we are tasked anew to share
Share the change that wind brings
Share the heat of pure love

And most importantly
To share our faith
In the language of those we meet



...

When you need just asl
The holy spirit will come
Warm like plumes of fire

Clean to bathe within
Thread to hold safely onto
Drink to fuel you

When you are in need
Know you are never alone
No matter what!




...

Pentecost Rictameter

Spirit
Came down to Earth
Riding on wind's breath
Tongues as of fire without heat
Touching all those gathered there together
Resting, giving, filling, teaching
Tools of proclamation
For all of time
Spirit

Spirit
Invited now
Move among us today
As all those centuries ago
Be alive in our world, empowering
Give us the words we need to say
Actions that we must take
Come Spirit Come
Spirit




..

Prose Poem

As I lie by this tree in the garden
I see, feel and hear the wind.
A warm day with light clouds;
the wind strong and gusty;
the sort of day I love.

And so I sit and watch
As branches bend,
Trees sway
Leaves move and rustle.

I sit and listen as the sound of the wind
Conjures up images of breaking waves.

The wind is at work.
I see the effect of the wind.
I hear the wind in the trees.
Yet I can't see the wind itself.
Who can?

I can see and hear the effects of the wind
So it is with faith and with my calling.
I can not hear my faith itself,
Cannot see the calling specifically,
Yet I can see and hear the effect of both
On my life.

The effect of wind is visible
striking and beautiful
changing and life giving.

The effect of faith and calling are visible
striking and beautiful
changing and life giving.

Suddenly the wind of the holy spirit
means so much more
Pentecost here we come.



No comments: