Wednesday 9 February 2011

Do you have DAD?

And no I don't mean do you have A dad!
According to this BBC article by Colm O'Regan there is a condition called Divided Attention Disorder which you and I and most people you know could be said to suffer from.

So let's diagnose ourselves.
1. Do you have many Internet sites open at once?
2. Do you check twitter, facebook and blogs regularly?
3. Do you multi-task at work, home and play?
4. Does your phone have your calendar, email, photos and more on it?
5. Do you watch tv and surf the Internet/read/knit etc?
6. Do you worry about your work to-do list whilst on the way home?
7. Do you have a fiction, reference and other book all being read on your kindle?

If you answer yes to more than 4 of these (no this is not scientific) then I diagnose you with DAD!
Either that or you're a woman, or a successful business leader, or an entrepreneur, or a mum or dad; or perhaps you're a doctor, nurse, lawyer, engineer, teacher or anyone who works these days.

You see I agree with Colm O'Regan; surely this has always existed. Surely in our caves millions of years ago we were flitting between collecting bugs, lighting fires, fighting off mammoths, searching for food and looking after the kids. In those times I'm sure DAD was a survival technique.

I am the first to diagnose myself, but I value the skill.
I can read for hours at a time. I can loose myself in an activity. But I can also balance many thoughts, ideas and activities at once when needed or wanted. I like to maximise my time, I'd hate to go back to my first work days where I wasted half my working day waiting for something that technology now assists.

So come on, join me in the proud declaration. I have DAD!

3 comments:

Red said...

yeah me too. but didn't they used to call it 'multi-tasking' ?!
redx

Susan @ FruitfulWords said...

Finally a diagnosis for my condition. But since it is "working" for me, I don't think I'll take any medication or go into therapy to mitigate the symptoms. ;)

Welcome to RevGalBlogPals. I am new too.

Reading your blog and other RevGal blogs is helping me to understand what it means to be in the ministry. I've only been "official" for 17 months so I need all the info and help I can get!

Blessings, Susan from http://fruitfulwords.wordpress.com

ramtopsrac said...

Me too... but I'm sure it's worse these days than it used to be before many of those activities existed. Sometimes people used to talk to each other in the same room, with perhaps just some knitting, tatting, rug-making type stuff to do by candle-light as they ruined their eyes!