Wednesday 23 February 2011

Sunday School is a Ministry


Today I have been working on preparing a session for this weeks sunday school; it has taken me about 2 hours and there'll be at least another hour or two before the session is delivered. At least half of this time is prayerful research, thought and listening to what I am meant to be sharing with the kids. The process is exactly the same as I use when preparing a sermon; no more, no less.

After my post on children's ministry a few days ago I have had a lot of positive comments about how important it is and also how concerning it is that the majority of those leading our children on a sunday morning have no training or qualifications. This does not mean that they are any less called or skilled, I believe those called to children's ministry are some of the most amazing people in the world; but it draws attention to the fact that the "church" organisation views ministry to children as less difficult or important than ministry from the pulpit to the adults.

There is no doubt in my mind that my preparation and delivery of sunday school has changed and improved since I have been trained in preaching and leading worship; I have learned skills and gained confidence and now rely more on prayer than on my own intellectual knowledge. I am much more willing to let a session go where the Holy Spirit (often through the kids) takes it; knowing that a message will be given and received. I make sure I prepare thoroughly, but I am not a slave to that prep when it comes to the delivery.

These things I have learned I have shared with the other sunday school leaders. I hope to pass on the confidence to allow God to work through them. I hope to encourage them and build their belief in their abilities. I hope to help them see their very important role in the life of the church and especially the children they minister to.

And that's what I'd like the church to know;
Sunday School leading is a Ministry!
Of God, for God, with God.

No comments: