Tuesday 15 February 2011

God loves me as I am

This week, as part of the Open Door Retreat I have been praying on Luke 7:36-50.  It has had much to tell me but the part which has resonated particularly is this

"Her sins which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much.  Your faith has saved you, go in peace."

I have sinned, I do sin, I am a sinner.

I'm not proud of it, I try my very best to do better everyday, and I still fail.  And then I beat myself up and feel worse and get despondent and downhearted.

I confess my sins, I try to do better, I am forgiven.  But I find it hard to believe that I am good enough for God to love.

Well this quote from Luke reminds me that Jesus net and accepted the fallen woman and forgave her.  So perhaps, maybe, possibly ... No, definitely, I can be forgiven too.

Jesus forgave her, he forgives me too and he loves me as I am, sinner and all!

1 comment:

Anne said...

It's the heart of the gospel, Emma.

And how often we need to remind ourselves of it!

Not just so we don't beat ourselves up - but so we don't use the Gospel to beat others up!