Monday 12 December 2011

Journeying with Mary Day Sixteen

Day Sixteen - Monday 12th December 2011


Luke 2:7
She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger,
because there was no room for them in the inn.

I have always loved this verse; it's so gentle, so beautiful and so strong.
There was no room in the inn, but Mary didn't let that stop her caring for her new born infant. She didn't shout, scream, rant or rave; she just got on with her new job as mother despite the situation.

I will let you into a secret, a badly kept secret; I'm a ranter and raver.  I find it extremely hard to keep my emotions inside for very long and often find them spilling out into a rant.  Who do I rant at?  God!  Yes, I rant to God in my prayers quite often.  I used to hold a lot of guilt about it, but I know God would rather I rant in prayer than rant at people who don't deserve it.  If I had been Mary I would not have simply wrapped Jesus in cloths and placed him in a manger; I would have then got on my knees and ranted about the situation my beautiful boy was born in. 

Luckily I have been chosen for many tasks for God, but not this one!  And that's the point that's with me today.  Mary was chosen for her specific qualities to be the mother of Jesus; she was resourceful, strong, gentle and calm; everything she needed at the birth and throughout the years she mothered the messiah.

Prayer of the day
Father God you are the only one who knows us inside and out, completely; we ask for more acceptance of that as we follow your calling on our lives.  It isn't always easy to follow where you ask us to go but we are today reminded that you have excellent reasons and we should trust them.

No comments: