Wednesday 15 June 2011

Choosing to die

I've just watched the BBC programme presented by Terry Pratchett entitled "Choosing to Die".

I expected to be quite detached whilst watching it.  I expected to feel that it is every individual's right to die; especially if they are suffering unimaginably.  I expected the programme to make sense to me.

But that's not how I feel.
It has shaken me, I have cried and I am coming down on the side against assisted suicide, where previously I wasn't.

Why?
Because if it can be this easy I might not be here today. 

I have been depressed to the point of trying to end life.  I have been despondent with no desire to live.  I have seen my future and wished to take no steps into it. 

I've been there.
But I survived.  
I hated the fact that I survived.
It took me over a year to see any benefits in surviving.
But now I am thankful that I did.
I am glad I didn't die.

And ok that's not the same as the despair in the midst of a terminal illness; but the programme has made me question whether we DO have a right to choose if and when to die.  Is anyone in that position really level enough to make the decision?

There are many others who will provide more theological, social, anthropological and legal reasons for and against.  But for me, today, I have been moved personally and my views have altered based on my experience.

Sir Terry Pratchett; thanks for making this film, exploring the issues and bringing the subject to our thoughts.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Interesting Emma, I also watched this and interestingly although I have also suffered depression and known hopelessness I come down on the other side of the argument. Not for depressives though, I do think that in the case of terminal illness that assisted suicide is valid, how legislation would be put into place I don't know, the thought of elderly folk being manipulated into dying horrifies me, but watching folk struggle with terminal cancer and other painful debilitating diseases holds huge questions for me.

Anonymous said...

Dignitas requires two doctors to make an independent evaluation of the patients capability to make the decision on different days. I think that's supposed to be a safeguard of sorts, though theres scope for debate.

Personally, after watching elderly relatives suffer painful death without hope of recovery I remain in favor of "right to die".


All in all, the BBC should be commended for thought evoking content that motivates discussion and debate, not demonized by the church!

Crimson Rambler said...

will there BE discussion, though? Or just "opining"? (genuine question, not just rhetoric there).
What frightens me is the growing assumption that the norm, the default setting, is that we always without thought or protest terminate life especially if the patient is elderly...
It would have been interesting to hear/see Pratchett's take on it (my children are big fans).