Tuesday 20 March 2012

Love you neighbour of any sexuality 

Yesterday I was having a conversation with a friend who is feeling torn between pillar and post on the issue of Christianity and gay relationships.  

She has church friends who say she should be opposed to gay relationships; she has gay friends who can't believe she can be part of a church that doesn't accept them and she has gay Christian friends.  

What is the right answer?  
What should she think?  
What would Jesus do?
What does God want?

I shared what I think: I believe God made and loves us all.  How could He not be positive about those He made bisexual or gay?  

I reassured her that it's difficult, that this is one of the many issues which we will struggle with, that it's ok not to be sure.  Mostly I told her to pray about it and come to her decision, or no decision in her own time.

Then in the evening I saw this

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It made me smile but it also really struck me that this is where my clear acceptance of Gay Marriage comes from.  It is not for us to criticise or judge; that is God's place.  We do not know all of God, or even a fraction of God.  We have God's word and accepted theology through generations; but we do not have an all knowing clarity of what God thinks and accepts.

Quick caveat: I don't think the being gay or having gay sex is a sin! I use this cartoon because it says it's all in God's hands and not ours.

No comments: