ministry is another motherhood
I have thought for some while that being in ministry is much like being a mother. The two are surprisingly similar.
They are both manically busy, with constant demands on your time that you know are all important.
They are both nurturing; walking alongside people, leading people closer to God, holding people through their grief.
They both involve learning. On this I have one thing to say: my newborn didn't come with a manual! Ministry neither.
They both have tears and tantrums, from your kids and yourself. Mine tend to happen at PCC.
And, perhaps predominantly .....
They are both giving of self. I believe you can't be a good mother of young children if you don't put your child(ren) first in your time, emotions, life, energy, love. Ministry demands the same;
- that you give your time (it's no 9-5 job),
- you give your emotions (through preaching, pastoral care and caring about the outcome of PCCs),
- you give your life (ministry changes your life beyond all recognition),
- You give your energy (physical and emotional)
- You give your love (to God, to others)