Saturday 17 January 2015

Daily Lectionary in Poetry Friday 16th January 2015



Psalm 139:1-6, 13-18

The Inescapable God
To the leader. Of David. A Psalm.

1 O Lord, you have searched me and known me.
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
    you discern my thoughts from far away.
3 You search out my path and my lying down,
    and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before a word is on my tongue,
    O Lord, you know it completely.
5 You hem me in, behind and before,
    and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
    it is so high that I cannot attain it.


__________________________________________________________________________

You have searched me
You know me
You read my thoughts 
You see my ways

You hear what I will say
Even before I'm clear myself
Lord you know me completely
You are wonderful yourself

__________________________________________________________________________

Judges 2:16-23

16 Then the Lord raised up judges, who delivered them out of the power of those who plundered them. 17 Yet they did not listen even to their judges; for they lusted after other gods and bowed down to them. They soon turned aside from the way in which their ancestors had walked, who had obeyed the commandments of the Lord; they did not follow their example. 18 Whenever the Lord raised up judges for them, the Lord was with the judge, and he delivered them from the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge; for the Lord would be moved to pity by their groaning because of those who persecuted and oppressed them. 19 But whenever the judge died, they would relapse and behave worse than their ancestors, following other gods, worshiping them and bowing down to them. They would not drop any of their practices or their stubborn ways. 20 So the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel; and he said, “Because this people have transgressed my covenant that I commanded their ancestors, and have not obeyed my voice, 21 I will no longer drive out before them any of the nations that Joshua left when he died.” 22 In order to test Israel, whether or not they would take care to walk in the way of the Lord as their ancestors did, 23 the Lord had left those nations, not driving them out at once, and had not handed them over to Joshua.

__________________________________________________________________________

Then the Lord raised up the judges
Who delivered them out of evil
But they preferred other Gods 
They would not listen clearly

This happened again and again
And God never turned away
Although they didn't listen
And ignorant were they

Eventually God was moved to anger
He could not take any more
So he stopped fighting their battles
Although it made his heart sore

__________________________________________________________________________


Acts 13:16-25

16 So Paul stood up and with a gesture began to speak:

“You Israelites,[a] and others who fear God, listen. 17 The God of this people Israel chose our ancestors and made the people great during their stay in the land of Egypt, and with uplifted arm he led them out of it. 18 For about forty years he put up with[b] them in the wilderness. 19 After he had destroyed seven nations in the land of Canaan, he gave them their land as an inheritance 20 for about four hundred fifty years. After that he gave them judges until the time of the prophet Samuel. 21 Then they asked for a king; and God gave them Saul son of Kish, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, who reigned for forty years. 22 When he had removed him, he made David their king. In his testimony about him he said, ‘I have found David, son of Jesse, to be a man after my heart, who will carry out all my wishes.’ 23 Of this man’s posterity God has brought to Israel a Savior, Jesus, as he promised; 24 before his coming John had already proclaimed a baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel. 25 And as John was finishing his work, he said, ‘What do you suppose that I am? I am not he. No, but one is coming after me; I am not worthy to untie the thong of the sandals[c] on his feet.’

__________________________________________________________________________

Listen all your peoples
God chose you and lifted you up
He supported you through the hard times
And gave you leaders to always help

When they asked him for a King
He gave them David who would lead
From this line He brought them Jesus
Before him no others are worthy



__________________________________________________________________________

No comments: