Friday 2 January 2015

Daily Lectionary in Poetry Friday 5th December 2014



Psalm 85:1-2, 8-13

Prayer for the Restoration of God’s Favor
To the leader. Of the Korahites.

1 Lord, you were favorable to your land;
    you restored the fortunes of Jacob.
2 You forgave the iniquity of your people;
    you pardoned all their sin.

Let me hear what God the Lord will speak,
    for he will speak peace to his people,
    to his faithful, to those who turn to him in their hearts.[a]
9 Surely his salvation is at hand for those who fear him,
    that his glory may dwell in our land.
10 Steadfast love and faithfulness will meet;
    righteousness and peace will kiss each other.
11 Faithfulness will spring up from the ground,
    and righteousness will look down from the sky.
12 The Lord will give what is good,
    and our land will yield its increase.
13 Righteousness will go before him,
    and will make a path for his steps
_____________________________________________________________________________

Lord God
You forgave all those who sinned
We worship you

Lord God
Speak peace to us
As we follow you

Lord God
Forgive us
We are faithful to you

Lord God
As you are righteous
So are we faithful always



_____________________________________________________________________________

Jeremiah 1:4-10

Jeremiah’s Call and Commission
4 Now the word of the Lord came to me saying,

5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
6 Then I said, “Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.” 7 But the Lord said to me,

“Do not say, ‘I am only a boy’;
for you shall go to all to whom I send you,
and you shall speak whatever I command you.
8 Do not be afraid of them,
for I am with you to deliver you,
says the Lord.”
9 Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the Lord said to me,

“Now I have put my words in your mouth.
10 See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms,
to pluck up and to pull down,
to destroy and to overthrow,
to build and to plant.”

_____________________________________________________________________________

The lord spoke to Jeremiah saying
Before conception I knew you
Before birth I blessed you
You are a prophet for all

Jeremiah replied
I am only a boy
I know not how to speak
You ask too much

But the lord said
Do not be afraid
You will speak what I say
My words are in your mouth

_____________________________________________________________________________


Acts 11: 19-26

The Church in Antioch
19 Now those who were scattered because of the persecution that took place over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Antioch, and they spoke the word to no one except Jews. 20 But among them were some men of Cyprus and Cyrene who, on coming to Antioch, spoke to the Hellenists[a] also, proclaiming the Lord Jesus. 21 The hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number became believers and turned to the Lord. 22 News of this came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch. 23 When he came and saw the grace of God, he rejoiced, and he exhorted them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast devotion; 24 for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were brought to the Lord. 25 Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, 26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for an entire year they met with[b] the church and taught a great many people, and it was in Antioch that the disciples were first called “Christians.”

_____________________________________________________________________________

Most told of Jesus
Only to the Jews
But some took God's call
And told to all they met

God went with them
And together they made believers
News arrived at Jerusalem
And Barnabas was despatched

He rejoiced in what he saw
And encouraged them to continue
In this way the church was grown
With the holy spirit it grew



_____________________________________________________________________________


No comments: