Tuesday 20 January 2015

Daily Lectionary in Poetry Monday 19th January 2015



Psalm 86

Supplication for Help against Enemies
A Prayer of David.

1 Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me,
    for I am poor and needy.
2 Preserve my life, for I am devoted to you;
    save your servant who trusts in you.
You are my God; 3 be gracious to me, O Lord,
    for to you do I cry all day long.
4 Gladden the soul of your servant,
    for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
5 For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
    abounding in steadfast love to all who call on you.
6 Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;
    listen to my cry of supplication.
7 In the day of my trouble I call on you,
    for you will answer me.
8 There is none like you among the gods, O Lord,
    nor are there any works like yours.
9 All the nations you have made shall come
    and bow down before you, O Lord,
    and shall glorify your name.
10 For you are great and do wondrous things;
    you alone are God.
11 Teach me your way, O Lord,
    that I may walk in your truth;
    give me an undivided heart to revere your name.
12 I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
    and I will glorify your name forever.
13 For great is your steadfast love toward me;
    you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.
14 O God, the insolent rise up against me;
    a band of ruffians seeks my life,
    and they do not set you before them.
15 But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious,
    slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.
16 Turn to me and be gracious to me;
    give your strength to your servant;
    save the child of your serving girl.
17 Show me a sign of your favour,
    so that those who hate me may see it and be put to shame,
    because you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me.
__________________________________________________________________________

Please listen to me Lord
Listen to me and answer me
Please save me Lord
I am devoted to you completely

I cry to you
I lift my soul to you
In the day of my trouble
I cry out to you

There is none like you
All the nations bow down to you
You alone oh God
Teach me your ways of truth

Save me from my enemies
Comfort me again
Your love is ever lasting
I'll be your servant then

__________________________________________________________________________


1 Samuel 9:27-10:8

Samuel Anoints Saul
27 As they were going down to the outskirts of the town, Samuel said to Saul, “Tell the boy to go on before us, and when he has passed on, stop here yourself for a while, that I may make known to you the word of God.” 10 1 Samuel took a vial of oil and poured it on his head, and kissed him; he said, “The Lord has anointed you ruler over his people Israel. You shall reign over the people of the Lord and you will save them from the hand of their enemies all around. Now this shall be the sign to you that the Lord has anointed you ruler[a] over his heritage: 2 When you depart from me today you will meet two men by Rachel’s tomb in the territory of Benjamin at Zelzah; they will say to you, ‘The donkeys that you went to seek are found, and now your father has stopped worrying about them and is worrying about you, saying: What shall I do about my son?’ 3 Then you shall go on from there further and come to the oak of Tabor; three men going up to God at Bethel will meet you there, one carrying three kids, another carrying three loaves of bread, and another carrying a skin of wine. 4 They will greet you and give you two loaves of bread, which you shall accept from them. 5 After that you shall come to Gibeath-elohim,[b] at the place where the Philistine garrison is; there, as you come to the town, you will meet a band of prophets coming down from the shrine with harp, tambourine, flute, and lyre playing in front of them; they will be in a prophetic frenzy. 6 Then the spirit of the Lord will possess you, and you will be in a prophetic frenzy along with them and be turned into a different person. 7 Now when these signs meet you, do whatever you see fit to do, for God is with you. 8 And you shall go down to Gilgal ahead of me; then I will come down to you to present burnt offerings and offer sacrifices of well-being. Seven days you shall wait, until I come to you and show you what you shall do.”

__________________________________________________________________________

Samuel and Saul
Were going in to town
Samuel said to Sail
Tell the boy to hurry down

Saul and Samuel waited
And spoke about the Lord
With oil upon his head
Samuel anointed Saul

Go Saul
It's time
Go to Rachel's tomb
To receive a sign

The head to the oak of Tabor
There men will meet you
Offering you bread
Of which you'll take two

Then go to the Philistine garrison
Where prophets will be in a frenzy
There the Lord will possess you
And you will become a different person

__________________________________________________________________________

2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1

The Temple of the Living God
14 Do not be mismatched with unbelievers. For what partnership is there between righteousness and lawlessness? Or what fellowship is there between light and darkness? 15 What agreement does Christ have with Beliar? Or what does a believer share with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we[a] are the temple of the living God; as God said,

“I will live in them and walk among them,
    and I will be their God,
    and they shall be my people.
17 Therefore come out from them,
    and be separate from them, says the Lord,
and touch nothing unclean;
    then I will welcome you,
18 and I will be your father,
    and you shall be my sons and daughters,
says the Lord Almighty.”
7 Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and of spirit, making holiness perfect in the fear of God.

__________________________________________________________________________

Do not mix with unbelievers
The light and darkness can not mix
Accept the heart of the living God
And forever more live separate

__________________________________________________________________________

No comments: