Friday 9 January 2015

Walk in her shoes challenge @careintuk #poetry


Yesterday I signed up for a challenge to be completed every day during the week of 23rd to 29th March.  This is run by Care and is called Walk in her Shoes.  We are challenged to walk 10,000 steps every day during the week and be sponsored to do so.

Why have I taken on THIS challenge?
When I read the challenge and the reason for it I realised what a state I am in and how lucky I am to be living in the western world with good medical care, running water and so much more.  At the moment I can barely walk 100 steps but it doesn't affect my ability to drink clean water - how easy I have it.  My hope is that this challenge will help me to increase my wellness, fitness and general health; as well as helping women who have so far to walk every day.

On Monday my training starts.
My aim next week is to be able to walk for 1 whole minute on the treadmill.
From that ever so low starting point I have two months to build up to 10,000 steps a day.

If you would like to sponsor my challenge I'd really appreciate it.
You can click here to donate
Or go to https://walkinhershoes2015.everydayhero.com/uk/emmuk74

On day one
I will begin
With just one minute
That might be my limit

On the next day 
I might do two
I must not rush
In the programme I'll trust

By week two
Who knows what I'll do
That's as far as I'll plan
I'll keep doing what I can

Two months in
60 days I'll have been
And I hope that by then
I'll complete this challenge



Why 10,000 steps?
Despite water being a basic human need, one in ten people worldwide don't have access to clean water. Responsibility for collecting water falls to women and girls who walk an average of 10,000 steps a day, that's about 5 miles.  The time spent collecting water prevents them going to school or work, which perpetuates the cycle of poverty and means women and girls can't reach their full potential.  By walking 10,000 steps a day for a week and raising £100 or more, we will be helping CARE International bring clean water to communities in some of the worlds poorest countries.


Who are CARE International
We fight poverty and injustice in more than 80 countries around the world to help the world’s poorest people find routes out of poverty. We also deliver emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and help people rebuild their lives in the aftermath.  At least 83p in every pound raised is spent on our poverty fighting programmes in the world's poorest communities. We invest the rest in fundraising and the efficient running of the organisation.  We tackle the underlying causes of poverty so that people can become self-sufficient. Recognising that women and girls suffer disproportionately from poverty, we place special emphasis on working with women to create permanent social change. Women are at the heart of our community-based efforts to improve basic education, increase access to quality healthcare and expand economic opportunity for all.

No comments: