Tuesday 11 August 2020

Exam results: they're only stepping stones


Some thoughts about the exam grade turmoil.  I draw on my experience of no where near meeting my A level potential due to a nervous breakdown at 17; but I got to uni thanks to an understanding admissions system and now I have "a number" of degrees to my name. 


 And of course I'm influenced as the mum to a year 10 who is stressed that she won't meet her potential - even though I've shared my experience and said exam results aren't the point of study. Q


I wish the government would admit that the current years 11&13 and years 10&12 and possibly even 9&11 will have negative impacts on their education and their exams results but...


I also wish they'd admit that exams results are only measures at one point in time, not a measure of skill or understanding or practical application.  They are stepping stones into further learning and development.  


I'm sure teachers were under unbelievable pressure by school management to ensure good results this year, I'm sure examination bodies are under pressure for fairness across the system in a system they have cobbled together, I'm sure further education bodies want to ensure the young people are able to do their next courses... but grades don't actually guarantee any of that.  


I would love to see the system actually reflect its purpose and look at the young people as people who need encouragement to fulfill their potential.  


Basically I'm feeling sorry for those who are anxious about the results knowing that they had the opportunity to perform in the exams taken out of their hands.  


I really hope that no matter what the results, the young people's next steps will be straight forward and affirming and that the young people know there are hundreds of opportunities ahead in their lives.

No comments: