"As soon as they left the synagogue, they went with James and John to the home of Simon and Andrew. Simon's mother-in-law was in bed with a fever, and they told Jesus about her. So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up. The fever left her and she began to wait on them. That evening after sunset the people brought to Jesus all the sick and demon-possessed. The whole town gathered at the door, and Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was." [NIV]
To share Jesus' healing ministry and the way He continues to heal us when we let Him.
Summary of the sermon
1. Jesus went to Simon's mother in law who had a fever. That might not sound that miraculous, but 2000 years ago a fever could kill. There was no paracetomol, no antibiotics to cure infection; a fever was extremely life threatening.
2. Jesus took her hand and helped her up, from her near death bed she was healed. It was a simple act, a miraculous act of healing.
3. And Jesus went on; He healed others who were sick and drove out demons. There are many debates whether these demons were possessions or whether they were depression and mental illness. But whichever, He healed.
4. Jesus still heals today. He brings hope to those who are sick, which can help then feel calm and rest and heal. He brings peace to those who are tortured, allowing them to face their illnesses and heal with help.
5. But of course we all know of extremely devout Christians who die if cancer and suffer extreme depression. And that is hard to hold together with the knowledge of healing. I have spent time with people in these situations, I have lived through it myself. And I know that Jesus does heal; he may not cure the cancer or instantly remove depression; but He walks alongside those who ask and brings healing. It may be peace, it may be hope, it may be physical healing; but it is what God knows we each need to deal with our situation. It is our understanding of healing that perhaps needs adjusting; our expectations.
6. Jesus healed. God heals. The Holy Spirit heals. We can ask for healing. We should know we can be healed. We must have faith that our healing is exactly what we need.
God who heals and drives out demons today as Jesus did in his time on Earth.
Do the same again in our lives and those who need it.
For Jesus' sake.