Today our People, Prayers and Potatoes (Messy Church) was on "light of the world". I based the service on John 8:12
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
We started with Godly Play.
1. Gather everyone around the mat.
2. Light the central candle.
3. Once there was someone who said such amazing things and did such wonderful things that people began to follow him. But they didn't know who he was. So one day they simply had to ask him. And he said, "I am... the Light."
4. Sit quietly "Let's enjoy the Light."
5. People who love the Light can become one with the Light. The disciples shared in the light.
6. Light another candle from the first
7. And then they shared Jesus' love with others
8. Light another candle from the second
9. Keep repeating until all candles are lit
10. In this way we share in the light of Jesus and can enjoy and share the light of the world
Following Godly Play I invited everyone to make or do something that talks about this story and how this story feels to you. I introduced each activity available and everyone chooses their first activity.
Silhouette – God lights you always – draw round each others’ silhouettes
Jam Jar Lantern – light your way – make your own holder of light
Stars watch us - God made the stars – create stars to light in the dark
Stained glass windows – Jesus’ light is amplified through the bible stories
As a group we will create a Firework picture on a large canvas– Jesus’ light in our lives is like multicoloured fireworks
Prayers – candles – our prayers are light in the darkness
Tent and Torches – we need light to find our way in the dark; Jesus is our light and we can find his help through prayer and faith
After an hour of creating and responding we moved into the church for Worship.
Neil used some photos I'd taken to see what we all think when we see sun light.
We then lit the lights in the jam jar lanterns we'd made and prayed for those in need in our lives and wider world.
We finished by singing "this little light of mine" before sharing a Jacket Potato lunch together.
Equipment for the session:
- Spot light
- A3 pieces of black paper
- felt tips
- jam jars
- multi coloured paper cut into rough shapes
- crosses printed out x20
- examples of stained glass
- silver and gold paper to make stars
- string/wool to attach to stars to hang them up
- paint brushes
- candles – from church
- pop up tent
- wind up torches
- 30 Jacket potatoes
- 3x packs of 4 cans tuna
- large bottle of mayonnaise
- 2 bags of grated cheese
- 2 big fridge packs of baked beans
- mixed salad
- French stick bread
- A large tray bake chocolate cake or similar for pudding.