Thursday 1 March 2012

#cyblessings 1st March 2012


In Burundi there is less than 1 doctor for every 20,000 people.
In Britain there are 42 doctors for every 20,000 people.

I have seen a doctor today, I also saw a doctor yesterday.  I expect to be able to see a doctor when I'm ill and would be disappointed with my GP practice if I had to wait for an appointment if I was feeling very unwell.  We have no idea how lucky we are with the NHS in this country; the system has its problems, but it's a free at point of use service which is available to everyone come what may.  We have no idea how lucky we are.  Today we hear that there are 40 times less doctors in Burundi than we have in the UK.  That's a massive difference. 

Burundi is a small land locked African country of extreme poverty.
With a population of just under 9 million people, Burundi is in the grip of the HIV/Aids epidemic and only manages to have half it's children in education which means the hope for future doctors is also an issue.

Christian Aid are asking us to give 10p for every doctor at your local surgery.  I had to look at the website of our massive local GP surgery to realise that we have 23 doctors, that's £2.30 I am committed to donating today.

No comments: