Tuesday 17 April 2012

Aquascutum folds - no surprise really

Watching the news you'd think a household name and popular brand had just folded, but today was the first time I'd even heard of Aquascutum.

Of course I know I'm no fashion aficionado, far from it, but I literally have never heard of this brand, yet the commentators are comparing it to Burberry.

Of course I couldn't bare not knowing what the company background was and what their style was. So I turned to the Internet, of course :)

Aquascutum was founded in 1851 by high quality tailor John Emary with the mission to provide stylish protection from the unpredictable British weather. John Emary invented and patented the innovative technique of shower-proofing wools and was the first to introduce rain repellent cloth. For almost 160 years Aquascutum has played a key role in British life, from clothing officers in WW1 to dressing British royalty and movie stars. Aquascutum’s heritage remains rooted in excellent British tailoring and to this day delivers an understated British elegance for both men and women.

What a perfectly poised piece of writing by a fabulous marketing department, but really it all comes down to the fashion and that was when I realised why I'd never come across them. They are from another era. My gran would wear this sort of style in the 1980s before she died at the age of 98. She liked classic clothing and this would have been right up her street if she'd ever been so extravagant. I'm sure the Queen Mother must have sported the look and made it look wonderful. But that's the point, it's an old fashioned look for very smart old ladies if a certain era. To my mind even the models look uncomfortable and out of place.

I even went to look at the handbags - my major fashion weakness; and for the first time in living memory didn't find a bag I "just had to have". This poor company got stuck in the last century and didn't even try to move forward.

I am sorry for all the people who work for Aquascutum, it's awful to know yet more people will be out of work. But I have to say that this brand was more tall dinosaur than high fashion. It's time had come.


No comments: