Wednesday 13 June 2012

13th June 2012 Matthew 5:17-19




“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

This is basically the crux of the whole debate on women bishops and gay marriage in the church of England at the moment. Some say they must uphold the law entirely and completely as written. Some say that the love of God is the key teaching for us to abide by. I follow the latter but that does not mean I have thrown out the law. It's complicated. But then anything worth knowing usually is.

Jesus we ask for your guidance in the world as we worry for your church; guide us at ground level and keep us discipling for you. Amen.

1 comment:

Claire Alcock said...

I do enjoy short blog posts... Worry my attention span is reducing with all this Twitter!