Monday 27 April 2020

What do you see?




What do you see
When you close your eyes
Darkness of nothing
Colours that mystify?
Do you rely on your lenses
To show you the truth
Does the mirror abstract
Who gives you the proof?

What do you hear
When you block out the noise
Trying covering your ears
No more distracting toys
Your internal voice?
Someone from the past?
A whirring or thumping?
Nothing that lasts?

What do you smell
To escape being pained
Do you enter a time
When happiness reigned?
Old books, really old
With their scent of the ages
All of those people
Who read through their pages

What taste evokes
Pleasure and pain?
What food do you return to
Again and again?
For me it was chocolate
That decadent beast
Now it's cheese
On which I would feast

How about touch
Essential connection
That's what I'm missing
In this isolation
I can't wait to hug
My friends and family
Just touching hands
Quite casually

No comments: