Monday 27 April 2020

What will shielding families do when lockdown is lifted??

It seems clear that the plans expect all those of us who are extremely vulnerable to keep shielding long term. But how does that work with families like mine where I need to shield but I can't expect my teenager to give up her life for a year or more. We've spoken to my GP and school and no one really knows what to we'll do.

Options we've discussed:

1. We all keep shielding for as long as that's needed and she can't go to school, be in any of her orchestras, mix with friends etc - no! That's just no way to live.

2. I shield separately in the house. But I need physical support from Mike which would actually mean Rachel would be isolating within her own home away from both her parents. That's no solution.

3. She goes to live with a friend or relative. She's absolutely clear that she won't do that. We discussed it at the start and she said she'd rather isolate with us.

Which leaves us with...
4. Once schools open she goes back to school and music etc etc but taking as many precautions as possible.

This week I had to hold it together when Rachel asked me if I thought she'd cope better long term if she stayed home for a few years and missed out on being a teenager whilst everyone else went back to normal, or if I died. She talked about the effects on her emotions and the effects on her plans for life.

She had clearly been spending A LOT of time thinking about it.

No more is she pondering whether she'll study music or psychology, now she's pondering if she can better live without school and music or a mum.

And how do I help her?
It doesn't matter how many times I tell her that if I catch it then I am a fighter, or that it won't be anyone's fault. She's 14 going on 44 and she knows the risks and the science.

I don't know how many thousands of families are having to go through these sorts of thought processes but I don't hear anyone on the daily briefings discussing it. I hope scientists somewhere are pondering it though.

No comments: