Friday 19 June 2020

Mental Health in Lockdown

I wanted to give an update about my mental health over the last few weeks in case it's helpful for anyone.



Background: I have lived with low mood and depression since my teens and have had a lot of help from counselling and antidepressants.

Update: Since lockdown I have been very up and down, as I think most of us have, with some days really very low.  Over the last month I've noticed the low days getting lower and the good days not exactly feeling good and that I'm struggling to sleep with lots of nightmares.

Three weeks ago I realised I should book myself a GP appt to talk about it and get some help - knowing it would take a week at least to get an appt. At the same time I self referred to Talking Therapies thinking I could get some CBT sessions.  I spoke to my GP last week and she was fantastic, she listened to me and reassured me that I'm doing great in the circumstances and suggested we increase my anti depressants a little bit to help with my disturbed sleep if nothing else.  She also said she'd put a flag on my referral to Talking Therapies.

I started my increased antidepressant dose a week ago and my sleep has improved which has helped a lot. Then on Monday I got an appt for an assessment by TT which happened today by phone.

The assessment was reassuring and positive as well and the assessor fully understood my situation, emotional journey and what I needed. In fact she helped me identify that I'm dealing with a resurgence of past trauma because we're in a traumatic situation in lockdown (especially because I'm vulnerable). We have agreed a plan for therapy for trauma, which I haven't actually had before even though I've often thought it would be useful.  The waiting list is 7 weeks but she's emailing me various support provisions whilst I wait.

I am extremely impressed with the help which is freely available and the reassurance I've received that this is completely normal and that it's positive to ask for help.

I wanted to share this in case anyone else is also struggling. You're not alone, there are people who understand and there is help available. Please don't suffer alone.

No comments: