Tuesday 25 September 2012

25th September 2012 Luke 8:19-21

Now Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see him, but they were not able to get near him because of the crowd. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you.”  He replied, “My mother and brothers are those who hear God’s word and put it into practice.”

Does Jesus reject his family here?
I don't think so; I think he's actually inviting us all into his family.
Jesus knows that his mum understands his calling; after all she heard it first from the angels own voice.  And his brothers; well no doubt if they were visiting him then they also knew what Jesus was born to do.

I always talk about church as my family and that doesn't reduce the love I have for my family; instead it expresses the love I have for the people in our church and how much I value them.  At baptism we are brought into God's family; how fantastic that this is an ever growing family with love to spare for all.

No comments: