Tuesday 25 September 2012

Children can raise money for charities too!

The amazing knitted dolls which St Nics with Stix are making for the children of Zambia.

I was speaking to someone today about the money Rachel has raised for the Jubilee Centre in Ndola, Zambia and realised I haven't blogged about.  What a bad mum I am; I should have been shouting about this from the roof tops many weeks ago.  Here's what she's done.

When I came back from Zambia in July Rachel was shocked by the fact that many of the children we met had no idea what a toy was and didn't know what a teddy bear or doll was for.  Of all the photos she saw and tales she heard, this was what stayed with her and hurt her heart.

She came to me within the week and said
"Mum, I don't want any birthday presents.  Can they all go to the children in Zambia instead so that they can have toys and play together more?"

Never have I been so proud or heart broken all at the same time.
I was proud that she would put other people and their needs ahead of her own desires.
I was heart broken that the plight of children she had never met would affect her so deeply.

I prayed about her request and came to let go of my heart break and instead value how fantastic Rachel is and how full of love she is for the people and their plights.  I couldn't let her follow through with completely giving up birthday presents, not at the age of 7; but we agreed that she could ask people to spend half as much as normal and donate the rest to the Jubilee Centre for their childens' work.  By doing that she has raised over £130 and counting; a huge amount of money that will go straight to those very children she wants to help.

Then last week we received the details of the little girl we will be sponsoring.  She is also seven years old and is in fact one of the children I met when I was in Zambia.  Rachel has got a photo of her over her bed and includes her in our prayers every night.  Already she is talking about when they will be able to meet and she's planning what she can send her for Christmas.  This relationship is more than a sponsoring to Rachel, it is a relationship; but I'll post more about that in the weeks to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet viewers, its really really fastidious article
on building up new blog.
Look at my page : words