Wednesday 4 January 2012

4th January 2012 John 1:34-42

Jesus’ First Disciples
[35] The next day John was there again with two of his disciples. [36] When he saw Jesus passing by, he said, “Look, the Lamb of God!” [37] When the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus. [38] Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, “What do you want?” They said, “Rabbi” (which means Teacher), “where are you staying?” [39] “Come,” he replied, “and you will see.” So they went and saw where he was staying, and spent that day with him. It was about the tenth hour. [40] Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. [41] The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ). [42] And he brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter).


Every time I encounter Jesus' calling of the disciples I'm left wondering if I would have responded or if I'd have been too worried to give everything up and follow an uncertain path.  

Of course I like to think I'd have followed but I doubt it; it took a lot of persuasion and time to follow my calling when I wasn't putting anything much at risk.

Jesus we are reminded today of how the disciples were gifted; with conviction, faith, acceptance and willingness to follow you.  I ask for just some of this in my life to help me follow your will.  Amen

No comments: