Sunday 8 January 2012

8th January 2012 Mark 1:4-11 

[4] And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. [5] The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. [6] John wore clothing made of camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. [7] And this was his message: “After me will come one more powerful than I, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. [8] I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” 

The Baptism and Temptation of Jesus
[9] At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. [10] As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. [11] And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”


Wow.  Not my most theologically deep reflection ever, but ... Wow!  It brings back to me how it felt to be confirmed and then licensed.  Reminds me of the immense joy at Rachel's baptism.  And how we all are brought back into this moment at every baptism and confirmation we attend.  Wow!

Jesus you came to Earth as one of us and gave us the gift of baptism, thank you.  Amen.

No comments: