Monday 7 May 2012

Searching for the super moon with the Google Sky App

Yesterday the moon came closer to Earth than it has or will for years to come; it was a sight to behold around the globe - unless you were in the UK where the cloud cover stopped things.

But we don't let silly things like the cloud stop us, we just waited 24 hours for another shot at a slightly more distant super moon; and our patience has been rewarded with clear skies tonight.

My first point of call this evening was the Google Sky Map on my tablet.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

This amazing app allows you to view celestial objects, including stars, constellations, galaxies, planets and the Earth's moon on the android tablet. With this in hand I knew exactly where to look in the sky and when it would appear over the horizon.

Sadly my sight was blocked by buildings and at 11pm I was too tired to keep waiting. I'd hoped to report the moon in sight; big, bright and beautiful, but it wasn't to be. I'm just thankful that with the help of the App I managed to name some of the stars in the sky. It made the anti climax less ....,
well ...,
less ..... dull.

No comments: