Saturday 2 June 2012

2nd June 2012 Mark 11:27-end




They arrived again in Jerusalem, and while Jesus was walking in the temple courts, the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders came to him. “By what authority are you doing these things?” they asked. “And who gave you authority to do this?” Jesus replied, “I will ask you one question. Answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things. John’s baptism—was it from heaven, or of human origin? Tell me!” They discussed it among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Then why didn’t you believe him?’ But if we say, ‘Of human origin’ …” (They feared the people, for everyone held that John really was a prophet.) So they answered Jesus, “We don’t know.” Jesus said, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.”


I hate being asked a question that I can't answer.
Worse, I hate being asked a question where the answer is bound to be wrong.

That is what I love about Jesus; he only asks questions when he is trying to help us learn about ourselves and what he wants of us. It doesn't make the questions any easier, but at least it all makes sense in the end.

Jesus we ask you to keep challenging us and guiding us when we're lost. Amen.

No comments: