Thursday 29 March 2012

#cyblessings 29th March 2012


75% of those killed or wounded in war are civilian.  In world war one it was only 5% .

When we watch films like War Horse we are reminded of the horror of world war one and the waste of young lives who died fighting for their country.  I find myself relieved that hand to hand conflict like that is a thing of the past.  

But then I hear this statistic and I realise the horror that takes it's place.  Now less soldiers are killed, but through the use of automated weapons and missiles from afar we see more civilian casualties.  No longer is war confined to a battlefield.  Now war moves to where people live, where the enemy hides.  

Christian Aid are asking us to give 10p for every country you know of in conflict.    Ok, I'm going to show my ignorance now, so please forgive me.  Here are the countries u know to be in conflict:
Iraq
Afghanistan
Syria
Israel
Palestine
Libya
Sierra Leone
DRC
Somalia
Sudan
Nigeria
Pakistan
India
Burma
Korea
Cambodia
Kurdistan (Turkey)

That's 17 countries that I can think of, so I commit to donate £1.70 and to pray for peace in each of these places.

No comments: