Wednesday 10 October 2012

A reflective service on Autumn Seeds

This is the introduction to a reflective service I ran yesterday which was inspired by the conkers and acorns and pince cones which are falling from the trees at this time of year.  I think it worked well and the feed back from those who came was positive.  Feel free to give it a try on your own or in a group, I'd love to know how it works for you.

Beforehand: Lay out some conkers and acorns on a table.

Today I was looking at Rachel's autumn collection and decided to change the mediation I had for something a bit different. Looking at the acorns and conkers, with all their potential for life, reminded about of Jesus' reference to the mustard seed of faith.

Matthew 17:20

Jesus told them. "I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible."


Sometimes it can seem that we have too little faith to achieve all we could. These seeds from our own local trees can tonight remind us that we have faith enough to move mountains, make a difference in the community and bring God's kingdom here.

As we move into a period of quiet I invite you to take a conker or acorn. To feel the potential of the mighty oak or chestnut within. Then look inside yourself and see the potential for mighty actions inside yourself with the help of the Holy Spirit.

Feel free to move around if you'd like or stay where you are; I will bring us back together with prayer and to close.

No comments: