Thursday 3 May 2012

No real choices at elections #ThatsWhatIHate

England has been at the polling station today, as have Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. There have been local councillors up for election, mayors and I'm not sure who else; it all depends what part of the country you live in. Here we were asked to vote just for our local councillors who manage the local budgets for services.

I'm passionate about democracy and the need to vote; but this year more than anytime in the past I really feel that there's very little choice between the parties and candidates.

There's no money
There's no great new idea
There's no way to make major change

There's just people trying their very best to make the best decisions for their local communities with what little they have. This time people who understand seems more important than policies that won't be fulfilled.

I hope people turned out.
I hope they looked at the choices.
I hope they found what they needed.

But I can't help wishing we stopped being party divided; and started being cooperative together.

No comments: