Tuesday 28 August 2012

24th August 2012 Luke 22:24-30




Also a dispute arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest. Jesus said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves. You are those who have stood by me in my trials. And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Jesus is telling the disciples that they will be sitting in judgement; but he tells them that this judging is one of service and compassion and understanding. So we are called to lead through service and giving of ourselves; what a world we would live in if we all managed that.

No comments: