Wednesday 29 August 2012

Elvis Presley's King Bible For Sale

I didn't know that Elvis Presley had a strong Christian Faith; but then to be honest I don't know much about the king of rock and roll apart from his music. So it made me smile when I saw the BBC news report today that Elvis Presley's KING James Bible is going up for auction next month. There's something special about the KING of Rick and Roll's KING James Bible.

Elvis owned this bible for 20 years and clearly read it all the time. It's beaten up and bent and marked up. It looks loved and carried around. It was obviously an important part of his life.

It makes me wonder why I am so careful with my bibles. I never write in them and I am precious about them. For me I think it's a mark of respect and how much I value them. In fact I feel enbarassed about my teenage bible is very much marked by my thoughts and feelings.

Yet I love seeing this bible of Elvis' with his markings and even his own quotation "To judge a man by his weakest link or deed is like judging the power of the ocean by one wave"

Perhaps I should consider having one bible with my thoughts written inside it. Not because I'm famous or anything; but it might be something which then feeds me through the years ahead as I read it.

What do you think?

No comments: