Sunday 3 February 2013

Whispers in the dark

Sitting in the gallery
Studying my many books
Desperately trying to remember
Hydraulics equations with a hook

It's worse with geotechnics
So many tricky words to learn
It's really interesting but
My mind is starting to churn

Then, just as it starts to make sense
I hear a voice so loud
Where is it coming from?
It sounds like I'm in a crowd

This is a library
I came here for the quiet
Why is someone shouting?
Is there, outside, a riot?

No, it's just a whisper
Someone on the other side
I'm in the whispering gallery
Manchester library's great pride

Of course I'm now distracted
From my studies of the day
I think I'll keep on listening
Eaves dropping on what they say

Xxxxx

The photo was the image provided this week by The Mag.  It's the central library in Manchester and the poem is the tale of one day before my final university exams when I was surprised by a loud noise in the whispering gallery.  Good memories, now the exams are long gone.

11 comments:

Gerry Snape said...

I love the story line in this and that it really happened to you! Great poem...thankyou

Jinksy said...

Fun take on a serious looking photo!

Berowne said...

Pensive musings; well done...

Kathe W. said...

love this rhythmic story

Laurie Kolp said...

hahaha... it seems like the more quiet a place (such as library or church) is supposed to be the harder it is to not be distracted.

Anonymous said...

I can see this happening!
McGuffy's Reader
http://www.mcguffysreader.blogspot.com

Antonietta May said...

I love it! Wonderful!

Helen said...

You have a real talent for rhyme ... I'm probably sounding like a broken record, I enjoy this poetry form.

Anonymous said...

Keep dropping those eaves and writing those rhymes. Enjoyable flashback.

Tess Kincaid said...

Always love a good eavesdrop...

~T~ said...

With hydraulic equations to be done, it's easy to get distracted...
Nice!