Friday 11 February 2011

Caring Society part2

I have the feeling that I might have quite a number of posts about our Di called social "care" system, so I'm embracing it and calling this part two.

This post is in response to the news today, best written by the BBC at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-12425527 about a young mum whose 6 month old was taken into care in Oldham 18 months ago.  This mum, herself brought up in the care system, is fighting for her child all the way to the European Courts.

I have two sets of emotions about this case and the care system:

1 - what a fabulous job the care system did for this young mum, she has clearly learned the importance and meaning of true love.  Sure she might have made mistakes, but show me a mum who hasn't.  But she is fighting for her own child, she is concerned to break the circle of care, she wants to nurture her child and will do whatever is needed to do so.  I applaud this nameless mum; I wish her well; I pray she wins this case.

2 - what does the Oldham social care system thinks it's doing taking a child into care on "possible future threat". You've got to be kidding!  Provide support, input, training, supervision, resources; keep a child with their parents wherever possible.  I worked with a family that had a similar situation and had a similar outcome; it is, in my view, inexcusable.  As a society we should be telling the "care" systems to care for families, not destroy them!

I pray that the now 2 year old is being well cared for, and that the care system can bring her back to her mum's care and support them as a family unit.

No comments: