Sunday 27 February 2011

God Squad 'Samson' session


Today in God Squad we looked at Samson; here was how my plan looked:

Message: God called Samson to save the Israelites, he wasn’t perfect but he was chosen by God anyway.

Mission: We need to know how much God loves each of us, and chooses each of us to do His work.


Introductions and prayers:
Forgive me God for things I’ve done that were not kind and good, forgive me God and help me try to do the things I should.

God made me as I am, part of creations plan, no one else can ever be the part of God’s plan that’s me.

God loves you, God loves me,
We’re a happy family,
With a lot of fun and a prayer and story too,
God Squad welcomes any one new.



Game: Guess the Leader.
Everyone sits in a circle; one child chooses to leave the room.
While they are outside a leader is chosen among the kids in the circle.
The child returns and tries to guess who the leader is.
The leader will be doing things such as crossing legs, winking, yawning etc. The other players will be imitating him/her.
If the child can guess who the leader is, then they choose who guesses next.
If not then the leader has to leave the room for the next round.


Story:
Samson’s good deeds and Samson (Delilah and Philistines) on pages 42-44 in The Storyteller Bible. Samson wasn’t perfect but God called him. I’m not perfect but God calls me. Neil’s not perfect but God calls him. Are any of you perfect? I don’t think it’s possible. But God chooses you.


Activity:
Let’s write a recipe card for each of us, it will say what our ingredients are which God gave us and uses for his work.

Also there’s a poster to colour if you’d like and have time.

And there’s a take home sheet for you to look at with your mum and dad.


I would like to tell you it all went completely to plan, but I'm not a liar.
The game was fun, lots of fun but it was then tricky to get the kids back into story listening mode. But they did, and they were engrossed and they answered some questions after. However I think the rain meant they were FULL of energy and so the writing/drawing activity wasn't received with too much enthusiasm. That said they all joined in and thought of all the wonderful traits God has given each of them. They fed back delightfully in church, mentioning spartacus (?) and also Samson and his hair.

The BIG news today was that I issued the invitations to the God Squad sleep over next month; should be fun, perhaps, I hope, please God!!

No comments: