Thursday 3 February 2011

Open door retreat: ANNIE'S SONG by John Denver

This song was one of those played at the open door retreat this week.  It has been in my head ever since so this morning I prayed on the words.

Here they are:

You fill up me senses like a night in a forest 
Like the mountains in springtime, like a walk in the rain 
Like a storm in the desert, like a sleepy blue ocean 
You fill up my senses come fill me again. 

Come let me love you, let me give my life to you 
Let me drown in your laughter, let me die in your arms 
Let me lay down beside you, let me always be with you 
Come let me love you, come love me again.

You fill up my senses like a night in a forest 
Like the mountains in springtime, like a walk in the rain 
Like a storm in the desert, like a sleepy blue ocean 
You fill up my senses, come fill me again.


The words are speaking to me in a number of ways:
- they capture the very essence of the relationship I have with God, and for me that connection is never stronger than in nature.
- they speak of the love I have for Rachel, so pure and all consuming
- but also they speak of the love I wish I shared with my mum.  They capture the grief I feel for not having a mother relationship with her, especially now I know the sheer joy of being a mother.

1 comment:

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

I remember that song - I was a huge fan of John Denver. Reading the words in your post but it in a whole new perspective.

Thanks for stopping by The House on the Corner ~ I'm following back!