Sunday 4 November 2012

Police and crime commissioners election

- Do you know who you can vote for to be your new police commissioner?
- Do you even know that you are meant to be voting for your local police commissioner?
- Come to that, could you tell me what a police commissioner is or what they'll do?

I'd be impressed if the answer to all three of these questions is yes.  I couldn't say yes to more than one before I did some research today.

Apparently the government is undertaking a widespread and complete media campaign; I've seen literally nothing and nor have most of my friends and peers. 

- We don't take a daily paper - we read our news online.
- We don't watch adverts on tv - we watch specific programming which we pre record.
- We don't read adverts - we have grown up being hounded by advertising and have learned to ignore it.

How do government campaigns contact us?
Normally you receive information in the post but there's been nothing this time.  The campaign of awareness has been about raising knowledge of the information available online.  Don't get me started on how that works for all the people who can't get online.  And as for the awful website, you can draw your own conclusions at http://www.choosemypcc.org.uk/candidates

What a farce.
Does the government actually want police and crime commissioners?  Or is it that they know who they want and don't want elections to get in the way?

My opinion on the PCCs.
We live in the area policed by the massive Thames Valley Police Force.  I've never had any reason to complain, they are available locally and visible and friendly when you see them on the streets - which is what matters most in my life.  The police and crime commissioner elected is meant to make sure the police know what's right for the community, well the Thames Valley is at least 20 different and disparate communities so it doesn't make any sense here.  I'd much rather the cost off this new post was given to the police themselves to help with resourcing, that would be my choice.


No comments: