Friday 27 April 2012

13th December Facts and More

On my birthday

Kate, of The Five Fs Blog, is compiling a list of birthday related information for each day of the year. I have never really looked at what's happened on my birth date and I was tagged so I thought, why not. I have been to wikipedia and a few other haunts and here's what I've found:

When is your birthday?
13th December

Pick three people who share your birthday and share what you know about them.

1. Sara Cox, TV and radio one DJ.
I have known for many years that we share a birthday and when she was the host of the Radio One Breakfast Show I texted in and she wished me a happy birthday. Nice to bring back that memory.

2. Marti Webb, singer and actress.
She has the most amazing voice, individual and eye opening. She was in Cats and Evita and has been in loads of Pantos recently.

3. Sascha Kindred, British Paralympic swimmer.
He has competed at 4 Paralympic games, this being the year of London 2012 it seemed right to pick him. I wonder of he'll compete this year.


Is anyone listed as being born on the same day as you (ie the same year)? If so, what do you know about them?

Now this has been a find and a half, how did I not know that Nicholas McCarthy, the guitarist of Franz Ferdinand was born on the same day as me. How I love that band. As for an interesting fact, we're both born on a Friday the 13th.


List three people who died on your birthday and tell us what you know about them.

1. Ella Baker, civil rights activist in 1930s
I've chosen her because she was both born and died on my birthday, how cool is that. She was also an amazing African-American woman who campaigned for human rights alongside MLK.

2. Wassily Kandinsky, Russian-born French artist
I had never heard of him until Rachel drew her own version of one of his pieces last year; now I'm obsessed with his painting.

3. Donatello, Florentine artist and sculptor
He is most famous for his sculpture of David, a beautiful piece which is in Florence.


List three notable events that took place on your birthday.

1. On the day I was born Malta became a republic within the Commonwealth of Nations.

2. In 1972 Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt began the third and final Extra-vehicular activity (EVA) or "Moonwalk" of Apollo 17. To date they are the last humans to set foot on the Moon.

3. In 1577 Sir Francis Drake sets out from Plymouth, England, on his round-the-world voyage.


Tell us about a holiday that falls on your birthday.

13th December is the Christian Feast of Saint Lucy (283–304), who was a wealthy young Christian martyr. She is the patron saint of those who are blind.

No comments: