Monday 23 April 2012

23rd April 2012 John 15:18-21




The World Hates the Disciples
“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me.


It must have been hard for the disciples to hear these words of Jesus'; to hear that they would be persecuted and misunderstood. But then he also tells them that his teaching will continue through them; that is their job. Jesus is warning them and tasking them; he is sending them out in full awareness of what lies ahead.

And so we are sent out, to teach and share the message of Jesus and to face whatever misunderstanding and persecution might come our way.

Jesus we ask you to strengthen us as we share your message in the world. Amen

No comments: